• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

Re: My New Dog

#250550 1 year, 4 months ago
Nice looking dog. What happened to your cat?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#250553 1 year, 4 months ago
I gave the cat away to a gal who had a chihuahua so the two of them could play together.

He was bored here. All he would do was play fight, gently for the most part, but that's all he would ever do.

He needed a playmate, and she brought her dog over here when she picked up the cat to see how it would go.

I haven't heard from her so I believe all is well.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#250556 1 year, 4 months ago
leerburg.com/

Bill tons of free articles and pod casts-Leerburg is Guru.

edit: Bill I am very happy you found your shepherd, I literally cried when the Rock passed~This one looks like a good one, embrace the similarities, and enjoy having that type of companionship in your life again!
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by ecojaded.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#250558 1 year, 4 months ago
jaredlang wrote:
Ossumpei wrote:
So I was thinking...

We all know these dogs have a good sense of smell. They smell anything, like bomb materials or drugs, or strawberry gum, tobacco, basically anything and everything. The ones you see on tv and all are trained to react when they smell certain smells. Some sit, like bomb dogs, they don't want them to move around and potentially set off the bomb, so they sit right down. Some bark, like drug dogs, they scratch at the area where the smell is to alert the handler...etc.

So I was thinking of training this dog to act all nice and lovey dovey when he smells the herb. Rub on people, lick their face, get them to pet him and be all nice and all that. Then when they're all friendly and everything he starts this "Timmy is stuck in the well" thing where they bark and start running off in a certain direction, but return and get the person with the weed to follow him. You know what I mean. And then the dog would kind of like lead them to me and I'd be all like "Oh there he is" and we could make friends and get high.

So, what do you guys think? Good idea or what.

I think youre on to something. Take it one step furthur. Train Roscoe to find hot chicks with herb.
When I was in my early 20's I used to love to take my friend's dog for a walk in the park. He was a small toy poodle and the girls really went crazy for him. Too bad they did not get so crazy for me. I miss that dog.

My last dog got me out socializing a lot in the neighborhood. As a matter of fact I would have hardly know anyone if it wasn't for him. When we would go out in public though a lot of people would stay away from him because of his size. He was very sweet but a lot of people have a stigma.

But I'll consider what you've said. I don't think my sweetie would mind. (yeah right)
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#250568 1 year, 4 months ago
ecojaded wrote:
leerburg.com/

Bill tons of free articles and pod casts-Leerburg is Guru.

edit: Bill I am very happy you found your shepherd, I literally cried when the Rock passed~This one looks like a good one, embrace the similarities, and enjoy having that type of companionship in your life again!

Thanks Jade, I can tell that place is excellent.

Thanks again. I was pretty bummed, and your words helped a great deal, you knew what to say to help when I needed it the most.

This guy's going to be good, I can tell already. He sleeps right next to the bed and stays very close to me, he's not at home yet and still pretty insecure so he stays close. He does have a very good nature, real sweet and friendly, even being new here. We're showing him lots of love and patience and letting him adjust to us. I've got some training to do, basic stuff, sit, come, down etc, but that's part of the fun and how you bond. I'm giving it a few days before we do to much. I want to give him some time to adjust, he did just get taken from his home even if he wasn't getting a lot of attention. The guy loved the dog and clearly didn't abuse him, he was recently divorced and moved, was working, and the 4-5 people the dog was living with were down to just one who wasn't there much. There were quite a few dogs that I saw on Craigslist but I was waiting for this exact type, coat and all. I knew I would find one if I waited. I would have loved and taken care of a different shepherd if that's all I could have found, they're all good dogs. It was just me being picky. I am enjoying the companionship and having something to care for. Plus I get a lot of security knowing the dog is there and he'll let me know if something is happening. I sleep better when I have one.

I don't have many true pleasures in my life. My work out, an occasional concert, and the dog, that's about it, so its a big deal for me to have one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
Muddy Das
Junior Boarder

#251529 1 year, 4 months ago
nice looking pooch my last dog was a shepard had him 12 years before he went on to the great gig in the sky. Now i have a lab pup. So my shepard would kinda naturally hunt down herb. I think he was just familiar growing up with the smell so when we went out he would point it out like hey that smells like home. You should have seen the looks on peoples faces when he would go after their stash especially at shows.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#251597 1 year, 4 months ago
I'd know who had herb when I was walking my last shepherd.

People would see him and cross the street.

I never taught him to react when he smelled it.
Wundurland
Expert Boarder

#251978 1 year, 4 months ago
Since you have a big dog, Bill, I thought I'd tell you that this morning, and i warn you, i'm going in the gutter, on my way to work I saw for the first time a great dane taking a dump. i'd always imagined what it would look like and get the giggles, but now that i have a real live first hand vision, i feel hilariously refreshed. yes refreshed. that made my day and it wasn't even 8am. i'd heard our neighbors had bought one and from my second floor window a few days ago i noticed the cotton innards of some tragically fated stuffed animals mercilessly strewn about their lawn. so the anticipation was there. force of nature, man... if my crassness offends, i'm sorry, but i didn't think it'd offend you.
...was staring at the little blotch of sunshine with a special intensity, considering lying down in it.

-JD Salinger
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#252005 1 year, 4 months ago
Well I have to say I'm used to that sort of thing. I never seem to stop being amazed at what the dog eats. I get the hardest rubber bone I can find and its gone in the matter of a couple of hours. Its actually a relief when I see the remains. I'm glad it didn't get stuck and cause a real problem.

So far the dog has trashed everything I've bought for him to chew on. Broken 2 figurines, broke out of the kennel twice-broke the door once and the side today. I'm going to have to buy a chain to keep him on in the hallway when we're gone to work, because he chewed through the leash today. He trashes the house, tips over the garbage, drags stuff off tables and chews it up...etc, etc.

When I come home he's the sweetest most loveable dog ever. He rarely misbehaves, or is easily corrected when he does. I'm trying to train him and it seems to be working when I'm here, bur give him a few minutes on his own and its a totally different story.

My last dog wasn't like this at all. But then again, I had him since he was 8 weeks old.
Time to create page: 1.54 seconds